Foundation Degree (FdA) Applied Fine Art Practice // Undergraduate
The course develops a broad range of applied fine art practice skills in painting sculpture, drawing, digital, photography and related practices.
The focus of this course is hands-on, applied art with a complementary art theory programme, which focuses on late twentieth century art history and current debates within art theory.
Modules on this course include:
Year 1 (national level 4)
- Fine Art Media Skills (40 Credits)
- Art in the Twentieth Century (20 Credits)
- Lens and Time-Based Skills (20 Credits)
- Professional Practice (20 Credits)
- Introduction to Life Drawing (20 Credits)
Final Year (national level 5)
- Fine Art Contemporary Practice (40 Credits)
- Art in Context (20 Credits)
- Contemporary Art in Context (20 Credits)
- Work Related Learning Project (40 Credits)
- 56 UCAS points from a minimum of two GCSEs / A Levels or equivalent. We will also accept PPP at BTEC Extended Diploma level. We accept a maximum of 6 points from Level 3 Key Skills qualifications
- GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications) in Mathematics and English. If you have studied for a GCSE which has a numerical grade then you will need to achieve a grade 4 or above.
Applicants will be asked to prepare a portfolio of work, which should be simply mounted and accompanied by preparatory work.
Teaching and assessment
The course is delivered through studio sessions with feedback and constructive critique, as well as through practical workshops, demonstrations, formal lectures, seminars, visits, and individual and group projects.
Progression & careers
A foundation degree in Applied Fine Art Practice can lead to the following types of jobs:
- Working in local schools (nursery, primary and secondary) and colleges
- Arts and event management
- Working with community groups
The course equips you with a range of transferable skills including communication and analysis. These skills are valuable to many different types of employers who look for people with proven creativity and initiative.
In addition, successful completion of the course guarantees you a place on the final year of BA (Hons) Fine Art at the University of Sunderland, allowing you to ‘top-up’ your studies to an honours degree.
This programme is run in partnership with the University of Sunderland. The qualification you will receive is awarded by the University of Sunderland.
TyneMet College working in partnership with the University of Sunderland.
In order to help ensure that the student experience is maintained at a high level across the life of partnership programmes, there is a minimum of 12 students required to enrol in year 1 of each programme offered by TyneMet College in partnership with the University of Sunderland in order for it to run. In the event that this minimum is not reached, the University reserves the right to either close this programme and withdraw offers made on it or, if appropriate to the programme, apply conditions to the programme in order to allow it to run with reduced student numbers. If the programme is closed, the University will use reasonable endeavours to help affected students switch to a suitable alternative programme or alternative HE provider if they wish to do so. If a decision is taken to apply conditions to the programme in order to allow it to run with reduced student numbers, consultation will take place with affected students. Conditions may include things like studying some of the programme at a different venue or merging study with other similar programmes where there is overlap. If these conditions are not acceptable to all students, the programme will close.
* The University of Sunderland has a wide range of scholarships on offer. Find out more.
Higher Education Loans
Further information about funding your Higher Education can be found here.
FutureMe in the North East
The North East Collaborative Outreach Programme (NECOP) has launched its FutureMe programme of activity and support to increase the number of young people from the North East progressing to higher education.
|Location||Queen Alexandra Campus|
|Annual fee||£8200.00 *|